Monday, April 26, 2010

As I am Sleeping...

Thoughts from a Coma Survivor:

I heard someone say that I am in a coma.
It doesn't feel real.
The noise here is unlike anything I have ever known.
There seems to be activity all around me,
but I cannot move, cannot open my eyes.
There are bits and pieces of memory. Fragments.
Fragments of thoughts, and sound, and sensation.

I just woke up again, but still can't move,
or let anyone know that I can hear.
My body won't move and my eyes still won't open.
For some reason I cannot stay awake.... if this is awake.
I am drifting as though on an ocean.
I drift within sight of shore but can't reach the shore,
or make myself heard. No one sees that I am here.
The tides carry me away again
and blackness envelopes me, and I feel nothing.
When you come to see me please talk to me.
Please tell me something familiar.
I need something familiar to hold on to.
I need your touch and contact with you,
even if I can't respond.
I need a connection with sounds, talk,
and voices that are familiar to me. –Stephanie.

3 comments:

D.Richmond said...

That is a beautiful poem. I will share it with the family here who's son is in a coma due to a car/train accident.

How is your dad? My women's small group has been praying for your dad.

How are you?

God' peace to you, my sister in Christ.

The Seaman's said...

Thank you so so much! My dad is still in a coma. They did a tracheotomy yesterday. His body is healing but the doctors are not optimistic about his brain injury. They are not sure how much oxygen he lost when he was hit.

I'm asking the Lord to give me a second chance with my dad.

Thank you for your prayers. You are an extraodinary sister in Christ to me.

Love, Sandra.

D.Richmond said...

Heavenly Father,

I pray that you hear Sandra's wish for healing for her dad and her desire for a second chance with her Father this side of heaven.

But in all things, may your will be done Father.

If Sandra's wish is not to be, please give Sandra the strength to rest in your will in this matter and to always remember that you are a God of goodness and grace.

May you hug this family with your comforting and loving arms and give them strength and grace for the day. May you be with her Father especially, touching his heart and making your prescence known to him.

We ask these things in Jesus name. Amen