Saturday, November 19, 2011

Movies We Watch

Movie: X-Men First Class

Going back to 1962 where Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and Professor Xavien (James McAvoy) met in their younger years by discovering they were not alone in the world and together they convince other mutants who were not so lucky with their physical appearance to accept who they are and fight against Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) whose goal is to bring the U.S and Russia into a war collision. It was a rather good movie, not a spectacular movie. Hugh Jackman's small cameo was great and I did wish he was on it, but this movie was not about Wolverine but Magneto and Professor X. There was something missing and I cannot put my finger on it. Keving Bacon was amazing as Shaw, John and I both agreed he's an underrated actor.

Overall, I think it lacked connection between the younger mutants it sometimes fell unbelievable. It only left me wanting to watch the first X-Men movies.

2 1/2 First Class stars from me.

TV Series: Downtown Abbey

Upon looking for more period pieces drama movies on Netflix, I stumble upon Downtown Abbey and I immediately fell in love. Set in pre World War I England, it tells the story of the Crawleys who live in their Downtown Abbey castle and their servants. If you have seen Gosford Park and loved it, you will also love Downtown Abbey.

Lord Crawley has lost his next heir in the sinking of the Titanic who was to take ownership of the Abbey but now finds himself scrambling to find who will take his place upon his death, unfortunately, back in the day, his first daughter does not stand a chance to inherit the Abbey because only males inherit land. They are able to find a very distant charming cousin who is a lawyer who finds the Crawley's way of life not to keen with his own or the new way of life in London. He soon falls in love with the Lord's daughter Lady Mary Crawley who dislikes him.

Totally amazing series! Unfortunately, it plays in England first then it is shipped to the U.S for us poor Yankees to view it second. Season two will air in January here in the States. I can't wait! Huge cliffhanger at the end of season 1!

5 Abbey Stars!!!

No comments: