Friday, March 9, 2012

10 Things to Never Say to a Working Mom


1. It must be hard missing all those special moments every day.

Comments like these certainly never help when us working moms help bring the bread home, but they are a lot of insensitive stay home moms out there who have nothing better to do than to judge and criticize. Comments like this, I'm sure help them forget about their insecurities for a day.


2. I suppose it's smart that you're working. You know, in case your husband leaves you some day.

I was doing the math this week, and I've been working 23 years non-stop with that in mind,I wouldn't want to put all the burden on my husband, much less, make him feel he's got to financially support me. I believe it is my duty to work hard for him and my daughters. I don't work just for myself.


3. I'm surprised you went back to work. Your husband seems so successful.

If John made a gazillion dollars a year, I still wouldn't sit back with my arms cross doing nothing. What a waste of a lifetime.


4. It's cute when they call your nanny "Mama."

There is only one "Mama" in my house and I wear that title. Our Nanny is called by her God-given name. Ms. Patricia and she is loved, respected and a part of our family.


5. I just love my kids too much to leave them during the day.

I love my daughters and they love me, but there is nothing wrong with us being a part for a few hours; they are excited when they see me coming home. Our bond isn't broken one bit by me going away to work. My mom worked hard for us and even though I missed her dearly, I was thrilled at the sight of her when she came home. Her sacrifice will never be forgotten.


6. Did you see Dateline? The one with the hidden camera in the day care?

Well, yes I did! And that's why I was blessed that my Mother cared for my daughters in my own home for the first two years of their lives. Their schedules and naps were never interrupted.


7. I could never let someone else raise my children. But that's just me!

You Silly Rabbit, who ever said I ain't raising my kids? Everything is done to my expectations, you fool!


8. I hated my mom because she was never home after school like everyone else's mom.

Well, you weren't alone. My mom was a single mom and if she didn't work, we would have probably lived out in the street. My mom was straight up and told us if she didn't work, there was no food, no clothes, no brick house over our heads, and no private school. Yes, I hated that she wasn't home but I never reproached her for working.


9. You must feel so guilty.

Sure, I did. And there are times that I do want to stay home and do stuff with my daughters but our reality is different from those that can. Therefore, you go ahead and keep the guilt trip to yourself, no need to spread it.


10. I wish I were as laid-back as you and could just let the housework go.

Now, this one is hilarious! Who says I let go of the housework! I would not allow for my family to live in a filthy house and yes, I must admit that I work harder than stay home moms. Yes, I do work harder than any stay home moms. My house is clean and no I don't hire help, I'm the cook, yes, I cook everyday, real food not the frozen kind; I am the nurse - I have to make sure there are enough band aids to go around, etc, etc. etc. Everything a stay home mom does, I do and more.

Lastly, I'm a working mom, hear me roar! I'm not ashamed and yes, my kids are no less than your kids.

- Liz Gumbinner of Mom-101.com

No comments: