Monday, June 8, 2009

Toothbrushing

Sofia's teeth didn't start showing until she was close to a year old. Now, she's got three teeth on top and one on the bottom. Still slow in the process of growing teeth, which her Doctor reassures me she's doing fine and tells me that babies that get their teeth later have great teeth! So, that's a relief. But this weekend when I was feeding her lunch I noticed something on her top teeth where the gum begins and tooth ends. It looked like a dark line. I freaked out! I thought it was food stain that got stuck but when I rubbed it off it didn't come off. I freaked out again.

I'm a big on teeth cleanning. I carry my floss everywhere I go. John freaked out more than I did, I was concerned and thought that perhaps it was time to start brushing her teeth. Her teeth are still very far apart from each other so, I didn't give it much thought. John immediately went out and bought Sofia a small soft toothbrush and toothpaste, with no fluride, safe to swallow of course. I called her doctor today and was told that I should start brushing her teeth twice a day. Morning and night. So, I immediately did a retro thought and went back to my childhood when my mom never had us missed cleaning our teeth. No matter how tired she was, she was right there every night and every morning until she was sure it had become something that we did like putting our shoes on every day.

I'm doing alot of that retro memory stuff alot now that I'm a mom. So, now, we are adding one more thing to do with Sofia when she gets up and before she goes to bed, until she gets it on her own. Next thing might be potty training. Not looking forward to it, but I am looking forward on saving money on diapers! -Sandra.

No comments: