Sunday, August 15, 2010

Movies We Watch

Movie: Appaloosa

Starring Viggo Mortensen (Lord of the Rings) tells a story about two former Marshall and his deputy (Viggo) protecting a western town from law breakers who just happened to kill the former Marshall and his deputy.

Unfortunately, this movie does not have a lot of gun fighting action but lots and lots of dialog which is OK, but when you are watching a Western movie the gun fighting is expected. We were Ok with this movie but will likely not watch it again. We give it 2 1/2 stars and that's for Viggo's pretty good country accent.


Movie: Hot Tub Machine

When you find yourself pushing the forward button in your remote it usually means the movie is a total waste. I thought I'd try this movie only because the characters go back to the 80's, you know, the music, the clothes and let's not forget, the HAIR!
Lot's of F-BOMBS. What a waste! I probably only found one funny moment I could say was funny. Don't waste your time. John Cusack stars in this movie and it reminds me why I never liked him in the first place. We give it 1 1/2 stars. Yuck.




BBC Mini-series: Little Dorrit


I have discovered my new passion! MASTERPIECE THEATER!
Where have I been!? While scrolling through Netflix I found this BBC Miniseries done in 2008 and after reading the reviews, I thought I'd give it a chance and it was FANTASTIC!

If you like 20th century period pieces, this is a must watch series. It is based on the Charles Dickens epic Noble. It's a story from rags to riches, Little Dorrit, or Amy Dorrit is born in the Debtors prison due to her father owing money to creditors but Mr. Clennam (Matthew McFayden, as known as former Mr. Darcy) helps uncover that they have a fortune but when that fortune is found their lives changes but not for long.
Very good story. I'm tempted on buying the book, but I have so many other books that I still need to get to, therefore, I will hold on.

John declined to watch this mini-series (4 CD's 2 hours long each.) I told him he missed a good story.
I can't wait to watch another Masterpiece Theater miniseries!


-Sandra.

No comments: