Monday, October 5, 2009

Swine Flu

Q: Who's first in line once enough vaccine arrives?

A: Pregnant women; the young, ages 6 months through 24 years; people younger than 64 who have conditions such as asthma or diabetes that increase the risk of complications from flu; health workers and caregivers of newborns.

Last week, I got strep throat (i think this is how it is spelled) John had it and gave to me. Went to my Doc and he gave me the Z-pack with the Tamiflu. At the same time, I am reading that 1 out of 3 pregnant women are dying due to the swine flu. Chances are higher if you have respiratory problems like asthma to get the swine flu. Well, I am one of the high risk people. I'm pregnant and I have asthma. I got the flu shot when I was pregnant with Sofia. And I have been trying to get it but got sick. This isn't fun! I'm ok with taking the flu shot, but I do feel nervous about the swine flu. I rather wait until I deliver to get it.

Sofia will take the other half of her flu shot next week, and she will definitely take the swine flu shot when it is available for her. There is no reason why she shouldn't, I believe in protecting our children. But the swine disease is definitely bad.

No comments: