Sunday, December 28, 2008

Meat Maddness


What a great xmas it was this year! We celebrated the birthday of our Savior, and got to spend some time with our famillies. We decided to pull a double dinner, one on xmas eve, and one on xmas Day. Very Hectic! But it was worth it, we are still trying to recover. I don't think I'm up for roast for a while. Geez!!! We originally wanted to do prime rib, but we had no idea what it would cost to feed 24 people. So we went for a nice roasted beef instead. It still turned out well and no one complained. I had no idea how much I had to buy for that many people, so I consulted the all knowing Internet. I found a site and it recommended about a pound a and a quarter per person... that was about 32 lbs of meat. I cleaned out Sam's whole sale club, and had people pointing at my cart in amazement. On xmas eve we began cooking for the first wave of Family, and filled the whole oven with succulent meat. About 16lbs of it, and we had more than enough drippings to make a killer mushroom gravy. My mother in-law did a fantastic job seasoning the meat, it was melt in your mouth good. Fresh out the oven and about an hour before the guests were to arrive we began to carve the meatopia. We filled 2 huge trays with this carnivores dream and it became apparent that maybe the internet was wrong on how many pounds we needed per person. By the end of the meal we barely made it through 1/2 of the first platter. Well, the bright side is that we didn't have to do much for the next wave, we just stored the meat back in its drippings and heated it up. It did taste even better the next day, but even after the second wave we still had a bunch left over, which became dinner in the evening of xmas, breakfast tacos the next day, lunch, and dinner tacos and we still....... had leftovers. My sister in law graciously took the last bit and I was more than happy to see it go......I guess in the end it is better to have an abundance rather than people fighting over a piece of meat. I'm done with beef for a while and I don't even want to think about cooking that other 16lbs of beef anytime soon.


-John

No comments: